How To Obtain Service & Medical Records

In an effort to streamline the process of acquiring documents to support claims for compensation through the Department of Veterans’ Affairs, you can apply for copies of your Service or medical records on the internet through the Department of Defence website.
If you are a former member of the Australian Defence Force (ADF) and you wish to have access to your Service or medical records, or if you are an advocate of an ExService Organisation assisting with a claim, you can apply for these records through the Ex-Serving Member Service / Medical Records Freedom of Information website of the Department of Defence.

Older records

Army medical records for people discharged prior to 1947 and Air Force medical records for people discharged prior to 1952 are held by theDepartment of Veterans Affairs (DVA) therefore, if your request falls within this period, please contact DVA.
If you are requesting service records of an Australian member who served during World War I and World War II it is recommended that you contact the National Archives of Australia (NAA) in the first instance.